Community

Jen’s Pass Diary: Reflections and a plea for help for the ‘little guy’.

This blog does not represent PASS. Here, I discuss a few threads: PASS HQ Meeting A plea for help for SQLSaturday Edinburgh along with some SQLBits commentary A plea for the little guy - my thoughts on Business Analytics and Business Intelligence and a well wish to someone dear to me PASS HQ Meeting I… Continue reading Jen’s Pass Diary: Reflections and a plea for help for the ‘little guy’.

Community, Data Relish Services, Data Visualisation

My Kibana presentation slide deck from SQLBits

Here are the slides from my first SQLBits XIV session at the Excel in London, March 2015. I presented with Allan Mitchell on the topic of ElasticSearch and Kibana. I did the Kibana section and talked around the topic of data visualisation, and the slides are here. I whizzed through these first, before giving a… Continue reading My Kibana presentation slide deck from SQLBits

Community, Data Relish Services, Jen's Diary

Jen’ Diary: Board Meeting, BA Marathon, PASS BA features on TechNetRadio!

Here's another diary entry for my time on the PASS board. I don't represent PASS officially here. I know it has been quiet but I am busy on PASS, work, and other community things such as SQLSaturday Edinburgh and TechDays UK. So far this year, I have had one night off! It's 2.30am here in the… Continue reading Jen’ Diary: Board Meeting, BA Marathon, PASS BA features on TechNetRadio!

Community, Data Relish Services, Hertfordshire User Group for SQL Server (HUGSS), Jen's Diary, PASS BA Conference, PASS Board of Directors

Jen’s Diary: A belated Review of my first year on the Board

Disclaimer: I am not officially talking for PASS here. These are my own opinions. I'm a year into my tenure on the Board of Directors for PASS. What have I done, and what have I learned? The Skinny: Set up new VCs Supported other VCs with speakers, Microsoft 'go to' contacts, I created a Pathway… Continue reading Jen’s Diary: A belated Review of my first year on the Board

Community

Record-Breaking PASS Summit 2014 Opens in Seattle with 5,900 Registrations

Day 1 kicks off with live-stream sessions and keynotes by Microsoft’s T.K. "Ranga" Rengarajan, James Phillips, and Joseph Sirosh SEATTLE, WA – Nov. 5, 2014 – Celebrating community growth around the world, PASS Summit opened today in Seattle, with 5,900 registrations, its largest program ever, and live streaming of the kick-off keynotes by Microsoft’s T.K.… Continue reading Record-Breaking PASS Summit 2014 Opens in Seattle with 5,900 Registrations

Community, Jen's Diary

Jen’s Diary: Figuring it out – Virtual Chapter Pathways

Ok. Here goes.Disclaimer: I don't speak on behalf of PASS, only the Exec Committee can do that. I want to thank everyone, just from myself, for all their patience and support for the past week. You know who you all are, and I wanted to say thank you to folks, too many to list here,… Continue reading Jen’s Diary: Figuring it out – Virtual Chapter Pathways

Community, PASS Board of Directors, SQLServerPedia Syndication

Like bookclubs? Interested in learning Javascript online?

Like bookclubs? Interested in learning Javascript online? Ike Ellis is the lead for the PASS Book Readers VirtualChapter, and we're going to learn JavaScript in 8 weeks by following the recommended text and having fun discussions.  August 20th is the first session, so you have plenty of time to get the book!Sign up for the webinar… Continue reading Like bookclubs? Interested in learning Javascript online?

Big Data, Business Analytics, Community, PowerBI, SQLServerPedia Syndication

The Data Analysts Toolkit Day 5: How do R and Power BI fit together?

How do R and Power BI fit together?Technically, it is about munging data around between R and Excel and the Power BI components. You can use RODBC to connect to data between R and SQL Server, or R and Excel. Alternatively you can import data in.Why else might you use R?Pivot Tables are not always enoughScaling… Continue reading The Data Analysts Toolkit Day 5: How do R and Power BI fit together?

Community, Data Science, PowerBI, PowerPivot, SQLServerPedia Syndication

What do you need for my SQLBits R and PowerBI session? Nothing!

What do you need for my SQLBits R and PowerBI session? Nothing! I am not expecting people to have installed anything in advance, hence I have made no requests for the event. I will cover it during the session. Usually people never do it in advance because they are hassled in work, trying to clear their desks before… Continue reading What do you need for my SQLBits R and PowerBI session? Nothing!

Community, Data Relish Services, Diversity, SQLServerPedia Syndication, Women In Tech

Interested in helping SQLBits to craft the first ever SQLBits Wikipedia page?

Exciting DitBits news from the SQLBits camp today.  We will be hosting a 'Wikipedia Edit-A-Thon' which will focus on gathering budding community authors, editors and reviewers together to create the first ever Wikipedia SQLBits page!I'm looking for photos for the SQLBits photo album, which we will be posting online. Please send your photos, or links to… Continue reading Interested in helping SQLBits to craft the first ever SQLBits Wikipedia page?

Community, SQLServerPedia Syndication

Focus on the Global Spanish Virtual Chapter

I love that the PASS Virtual Chapters have a global impact for Microsoft data platform learners around the world. The VCs are my portfolio for my role on the PASS BoD. In case you haven't seen the VCs, PASS offer free learning in a variety of languages, including Hebrew, Spanish, Portugese, Italian and so on.… Continue reading Focus on the Global Spanish Virtual Chapter